As a native English speaker in Belgium I often get asked to proof-read text. I usually ask people to run a spell-checker first.
PowerPoint does not seem to have a simple way to select all text and then set the language. Frequently I get a .ppt files with basic spelling errors in the text boxes as they are set to Dutch spelling.
Here’s a recipe for setting the language for an entire PowerPoint presentation:
- In PowerPoint select Tools / Macro / Visual Basic Editor. The editor window will pop-up
- Select Insert / Module and a blank document will appear
- Paste the following Visual Basic Macro into the blank document:
Sub SetLanguageInAllFrames() For s = 1 To ActivePresentation.Slides.Count For f = 1 To ActivePresentation.Slides(s).Shapes.Count If ActivePresentation.Slides(s).Shapes(f).HasTextFrame Then ActivePresentation.Slides(s).Shapes(f).TextFrame.TextRange _ .LanguageID = msoLanguageIDEnglishUS End If Next f Next s End Sub
- Close the Visual Basic Editor and return to your presentation
- Select Tools / Macro / Run Macros …
- Run the macro SetLanguageInAllFrames
Now all of your text will be marked as US English and you can use the normal spell checker.
(You may need to enable macros before you can run it – leave a comment f you have problems. The VB code is based on this example from antonin_1955)